jueves, 23 de octubre de 2014

About Halloween

Next Friday is Halloween. Perhaps you don't know that Halloween's origin is astronomical. Since the fifth century B.C. Halloween has been celebrated as a cross-quarter day, a day halfway between an equinox and a solstice. Nowadays, Halloween modern celebration retains historic roots in dressing up to scare away the spirit of the dead. This is the reason why lot of people wear fancy dresses that day.
And if we look at the sky with big telescopes we can see pictures like this one I show you below. The stars seems to be dressed up there. Can you see in this picture a witch head? Her eye, nose, mouth and chin? Sure. This is the reason why this cloud is known as the Witch Head Nebula.
But please, come back to the Earth.Will you be wearing a Halloween costume next Friday? We would  like to know. Please, write a comment. 
By the way, we are learning about Astronomy in our clases now. So, why don't you dress your favourite planet, moon, comet, galaxy or nebula up as a Halloween monster? I will put in this blog the best drawings.
Have a Happy Halloween.

The Witch Head Nebula (APOD, NASA)

7 comentarios:

  1. I´m going to wear a witch's costume and I'm going to go with some friends and my brother to the shopping centre.
    Enjoy your Haloween!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thank you Maia; I would like to see you as a witch. Have a good time tomorrow night.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Isabel Fernández García1 de noviembre de 2013, 5:57

    I am very happy to see the star with the witch head.
    Halloween is one of my favourites dates becouse I watch TV witch my parents,specially terror films.Vampires are my
    favourites characters,so I love the night and the stars.
    Have a good time!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Sandra Rodríguez García 1º ESO B3 de noviembre de 2013, 3:00

    I just went with my friends but I dressed

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Mónica Rodríguez 1º B3 de noviembre de 2013, 3:01

    I went with my friends to the street to play, to have fun and call people. I dressed up because I like to dress. I put the comment very late, sorry. Happy halloween backward!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. ANTONIO JOSE GARCIA ARIAS27 de octubre de 2014, 10:52

    my costume is a great creepypasta slender happy hallowen.¡¡¡¡ link:https://www.google.es/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.taringa.net%2Fposts%2Fimagenes%2F15912639%2FDisfraz-de-Slender.html&ei=44NOVLb2Cs34atvPgpAE&bvm=bv.77880786,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNHlaEKCF4WCB2GZSAF6bKb59dJylQ&ust=1414518113766431

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Adrián García Sánchez16 de diciembre de 2014, 9:43

    I love the nebulae... I am wont astronomic.

    ResponderEliminar